Winter is Coming. For those of you living in cold-weather regions, you understand the effects of dreaded winter skin: dry, cracked, painful skin that not even layer-upon-layer of moisturizer can fix. Fear not, winter dwellers! You can begin preparing for winter skin ahead of time and prevent these nasty symptoms by using these helpful skin tips.
- Purchase a Humidifier. Freezing temperatures suck moisture out of our air, leaving our homes feeling dry. A humidifier not only helps to ensure that the air in your home retains its moisture, but it can even leave your skin looking and feeling hydrated with its moisturizing and hydrating benefits. Experts recommend keeping humidity levels between 30% and 50% in your home.
- Eat Hydrating Foods. Fill up on water-dense foods such as cucumbers, lettuce, and citrus fruits, which hydrate your skin from the inside out. Make sure to include salmon, eggs, and seeds in your diet, which have essential nutrients and proteins which help your body skin produce cells. Finally, include seasons foods such as sweet potatoes, yams, kale, and walnuts, which all have important nutrients for your skin, and are easily incorporated into holiday cooking.
- Avoid Over-Exfoliating. Use a gentle exfoliating scrub, such as the Illuminating Facial Polish, to smooth away dead skin cells. Make sure not to exfoliate more than once per week to ensure that you are not over-exfoliating dry skin.
- Avoid Make-Up Wipes. Replace your drying makeup remover wipes with a product that hydrates while removing your make-up. Refresh and cleanse skin daily with the Botanical Cleanser, which effectively removes dirt, oil and makeup. Infused with calming botanical extracts of Chamomile and Lavender, which have been used for centuries for their skin conditioning properties, this formula is further enhanced with a 10% concentration of Tepezcohuite Bark Extract for enhanced revitalization.
- Avoid Long, Hot Showers. Who doesn’t love a hot shower on a cold day? We know, it’s hard but try your best to resist the urge to warm up in the shower. The hot water strips your skin of its ability to produce a healthy amount of oil, which can leave your skin feeling dry and irritated. Keep showers as brief as possible, with the water lukewarm, and moisturize when skin is still damp to seal in as much moisture as possible.
- Moisturize Regularly. To prepare skin for the dry, cold weather that is to come, start moisturizing daily, if not once after your shower and once before you go to bed. The most efficient and hydrating way to moisturize is with a lotion containing shea butter or other intensely hydrating ingredients. For intense hydration, try the *NEW* Mayan Magic Lite, which contains 20% Tepezcohuite, an ancient, indigenous, healing skin tree extract, responsibly sourced from Mexico. Shea Butter, Tepezcohuite and Vegetable Based Emollients work together to nourish, comfort and rescue, dry, damaged skin. You may also try the Affirm Body Lotion, a truly amazing natural body lotion bursting with rich Shea and Mango butters, Omega 3 and 6 cold pressed Olive Oil and the ancient revitalizing powers of Mayan Tepescohuite. This total body hydrator also contains a skin-conditioning complex that promotes micro-circulation and resilience. Euphoric Rosemary and Lavender essential oils elevate the sensory appeal making this lotion irresistible.